Amendment by By-Law

Any non-profit legal person constituted pursuant to Part III of the Companies Act may adopt a by-law respecting the amendment of the following information:

  • its name;
  • the locality of its head office;
  • the number of directors.
  • If the head office is transferred to a different address within the same locality, you must file instead an annual or current updating declaration to declare the transfer of the head office.
  • If the amendments concern immovable property or the revenue therefrom, the powers and purposes, or the other provisions, you must apply for supplementary letters patent.

The by-law must be adopted by the directors and either ratified by at least two-thirds of the members present at a special general meeting convened for that purpose or ratified by a written resolution signed by all the members.

To make such an amendment, complete form RE-503, Règlement concernant la modification (see English courtesy translation RE-503-T).

Fees and terms of payment

The fees applicable to the adoption of a by-law respecting the amendment of information are given in chart RE-101, Tarifs et modalités de paiement (see English courtesy translation RE-101-T).

Processing your application

The Registraire des entreprises will deposit a notice confirming the requested amendment in the enterprise register.

Name change

When a name change is proposed, the by-law must be accompanied by a name search report of the names used and declared in the enterprise register.

To verify whether the name you have chosen is not already used by another enterprise in Québec, you may search the register and print out the result yourself.

Client services

Client services of the Registraire des entreprises are provided by Services Québec at its offices in Montréal or Québec, as well as by email or telephone. Contact information is provided on the Contact Us page.

Client services staff can help you understand, in particular, the process of amendment by by-law and the application of the rules of law in general. However, they cannot interpret the rules to adapt them to a specific case or respond to a specific situation. For such help, consult a legal adviser.

Last Update : 
Top of the page Top of the page