Reregister an Enterprise
What is reregistering?
Reregistering occurs when the Registraire des entreprises reactivates an enterprise’s registration. Only certain types of enterprises can apply for reregistration where the registration was cancelled on request or cancelled ex officio.
Who can reregister?
The types of enterprises below can reregister at any time in the enterprise register:
- natural persons who operate a sole proprietorship under a name that includes their first and last names;
- joint ventures (undeclared partnerships);
- associations and groups of persons registered in the enterprise register.
The enterprises below can reregister if they did not do business in Québec between the time of the cancellation of their registration and their application to reregister:
- natural persons who operate a sole proprietorship under a name that does not include their first and last names;
- partnerships not constituted in Québec;
- legal persons not constituted in Québec.
- Natural persons who wish to reregister must use the NEQ assigned by the Registraire des entreprises. The NEQ assigned to a natural person who operates a sole proprietorship is assigned for life, even if the person’s activities change, and cannot be transferred to another person.
Who cannot reregister in the enterprise register?
The enterprises below that did business in Québec since their ex officio cancellation must apply for revocation of cancellation, since they were obliged to be registered in the enterprise register during that period.
- Natural persons who operate a sole proprietorship under a name that does not include their first and last names
- Natural persons who operate a tobacco retail outlet or a tanning salon, regardless of the name under which they operate their enterprise
- Legal persons not constituted in Québec
- Partnerships not constituted in Québec
The following Québec enterprises cannot reregister because they are required to remain registered throughout their existence. If their registration was cancelled ex officio, they must apply for revocation of cancellation. Such enterprises will keep the NEQ that they possessed prior to their cancellation.
Québec legal persons
- Business corporations (Business Corporations Act)
- Non-profit legal persons (Companies Act, Part III)
- Religious corporations (Religious Corporations Act)
- Syndicates of co-ownership (Civil Code of Québec)
Partnerships constituted in Québec
- General partnerships (S.E.N.C.)
- Limited liability partnerships (S.E.N.C.R.L.)
- Limited partnerships (S.E.C.)
How to reregister an enterprise in the enterprise register
The Registraire des entreprises offers the following online services to reregister an enterprise. You must use the service corresponding to the legal form of the enterprise to file the appropriate declaration. To reregister an enterprise, you will need the Québec enterprise number (NEQ) that was assigned to it prior to cancellation of its registration.
The online services offered are:
If you wish to reregister an enterprise constituted under a law other than a law of Québec, you must make sure that the following conditions are met:
- The enterprise's information is already published in another jurisdiction's register.
- The information in the declaration of registration, such as the name of the enterprise, its domicile address and date of constitution, must be the same as the information declared in the other jurisdiction.
- The enterprise must not have been dissolved.
The Registraire des entreprises reserves the right to refuse an enterprise's registration if any of these conditions are not met.
Fees and terms of payment
The fees applicable to reregistration are the same as those applicable to a declaration of registration. The fees are given in chart RE-101, Tarifs et modalités de paiement (see English courtesy translation RE-101-T).
Processing your application
If your application is compliant and complete and the required fees have been paid, the Registraire des entreprises will deposit the declaration in the enterprise register, which results in the reregistration of the enterprise.
Legal obligations of an enterprise
Once reregistered, the enterprise will have to fulfil annual legal obligations. For more information, see Legal Obligations Stemming from Registration.
Client services of the Registraire des entreprises are provided by Services Québec at its offices in Montréal or Québec, as well as by email or telephone. Contact information is provided on the Contact Us page.
Client services staff can help you understand, in particular, the process for registering an enterprise and the application of the rules of the law in general. However, they cannot interpret these rules to adapt them to a specific case or respond to a specific situation. For such help, consult a legal adviser.